You cannot manage what you do not track. Whether it is in business or in sports, you need to collect data so you can analyse your performance and then make a decision on how you can improve your performance going forward.
When it comes to running, it is a must! Thankfully, there are several apps that make it much easier to maintain a running log nowadays.
There are different types of data that you want to track when you maintain a running log.
- The distance that you are running.
- The time that you run the distance in.
- The interval splits that you are running over the distance (100m, 200m, 400m, 1000m, etc)
- The average pace (ideally you can track this in real-time)
- Your heart rate whilst doing the exercise.
- Gradients during your run.
The goal is to make progression with each run that you do. This progression will allow you to improve over time and make new personal bests.
Where should you maintain your running log?
Nowadays, it is easier to maintain the logs on your phone via apps.
If you have a smartwatch, you can use it and sync the data to your phone. An Apple Watch is a great way to easily track your data.
You can also keep a logbook and document the details of your training and performance.